Uninvited Houseguest

We got back from our weekend in Cooperstown yesterday afternoon totally exhausted. We were so excited that we were home early enough to have a great, relaxing night to be ready for the work week to start up again. We blew up our air mattress in our living room as we like to do to watch movies and got settled in. Soon after, I heard the most horrifying sound ever: chewing from behind the refrigerator. Sigh.

I don’t think there is anything I’m more phobic of than mice. I know it’s stupid, but I have a physical reaction to them. My brain and body seem to think that mice are THE MOST DANGEROUS THING IN THE WORLD based on how I feel when encountering one. All winter long I’ve been keeping an eye out for droppings and an ear out for sounds, but there haven’t been any at all. We’ve had mice a few times in other apartments, but they’ve always come around Halloween and been gone by Thanksgiving, so I thought we were out of the woods this winter and that we had found a third mouse-free home. When I heard the chewing sound, I couldn’t believe it. There are still no droppings anywhere except for behind the fridge where we heard it. We set some traps and laid out some poison (my days of humane catching ended when we had a particularly persistent infestation in Minneapolis), and I held it together briefly by convincing myself that since there aren’t droppings anywhere, the mouse must stay behind the fridge so at least I won’t have to see him. This little fairy tale came crashing down about an hour later when I saw the furry monster scurry from across the kitchen back under the fridge. The horror!
With my anxiety reaching vomit levels, we decided to run some errands so that I could get out of the apartment for awhile. Even after an hour of errand running, I was still at panic level, so we decided to stay at a hotel for the night with the hopes that by the time we got home, the stupid mouse would have met his fate in a trap (this hope was, of course, contingent on the hope that there was only one mouse). Unfortunately, when we got home, we hadn’t caught anything yet.

I have never been happier to go to work than I was today. While I was there, Dan set some more traps and kept his eye out, but there’s been no sign of the mouse. Hopefully we have a resolution soon! In the meantime, I’m going to stop into the Health Center at school to see if it is possible to get a prescription for something like Xanax. I am able to manage my anxiety without medication in general, but with this phobia, my symptoms are so physical that I don’t know how to control them, so I think that taking medication might help. We’ll see if I can speak with someone and if they agree!

Tomorrow will bring a much more pleasant post–my trip recap! See you then!


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s