Couch To 5k Day 1

I’ve been waiting impatiently to try out Couch to 5k for a week as disgusting hot and muggy weather was hanging over my town. I am really sensitive to heat, which is the reason I don’t run over the summer. I very easily get weak, dizzy, nauseous, and headachy if I am not careful to drink tons and tons of water during the summer, and I can’t really exert myself too much or I feel really sick. One summer when I was making sandwiches at the coffee shop (bageling, as we call it), I almost passed out from working so hard in front of the toaster. I eventually had to go to the doctor because two weeks went by and I couldn’t do anything without getting seriously exhausted.

Anyway, I was bummed when the temps warmed up again and the air got positively soupy after a little Fall tease. Today I was pleasantly surprised when I got out of class (early! Guess who has a new favorite professor!) and found that it was much cooler and not very humid. It was rainy, but I got ambitious during a break in the rain and got my ass out the door.

I decided to start with Week 4 because I want to ease back into running. Here were my instructions for today:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

Easy peasy. I got this app:

so I could listen to music and it would tell me when to walk and when to run, which was awesome because I didn’t have to think about it at all.
The 5 minute warm up was excruciating because I JUST WANTED TO RUN. The first three minutes flew by, even though I had to run up this hill that always kicks my ass. During the first run, it started sprinkling, but I didn’t want to turn back so I figured I’d just deal with it.
I got through the second run and was walking when it started to POUR. It was at this point that I aborted the instructions and just took off. I didn’t care about myself getting wet (though I was wearing head to to cotton…I know, I know!), but I was worried that my iPod would get ruined. I didn’t have any pockets, so I tucked it into my sports bra and sprinted towards home.

It was funny how easy the run felt when I was trying to get out of the rain. I was just focused on getting home and saving the life of my iPod. Then the funniest thing happened: the rain stopped and I couldn’t run ANOTHER STEP. It’s so funny how mental running is. I stopped to tie both my shoes which had come undone in my mad dash, and then started running again. I gave myself another tiny walking break in preparation for the killer hill that I live on the top of, and then tackled said hill. I nearly threw up at the top.  

Even though I didn’t follow the instructions exactly, I’m just going to move on to Week 5 Day 2 next time I run, which will hopefully be Friday, weather permitting. I know I didn’t do much of the program, but I really like it a lot. The app is awesome and the intervals are really good to keep morale up during the run. It’s good to have structure; usually I just run as far as I can and then take a walking break, but it’s hard to start running again. I think it’s probably good to walk before I’m 100% spent.

I’m off to shower and eat some homemade chicken noodle soup to hold me over until dinner. Then I’ll be relaxing as I’m on a little break from school for Rosh Hashanah (L’Shana Tova, Jewish people!) and the break will be pretty jam-packed with work.

This entry was posted in C25K, inclement weather, optimism, starting over. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s