Say that five times fast 🙂
Dan and I only have breakfast together once a week, on Saturday mornings, so I have gotten into the habit of making pancakes for us. Each week I make them slightly different, and last week we had these. They were so amazing that I decided that I had better make them for dinner this week (you know, to use up the rest of the strawberries–I wouldn’t want them to go bad!), so last night I did just that.
This recipe is heavily adapted from the Mixed Grain Pancake recipe in this cookbook:
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Mixed Grain Pancakes
Makes 12 hearty pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 heaping Tbsp quick cooking oats
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Approx. 1 heaping cup of halved strawberries, chopped in food processor
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Mix the first five (the dry) ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine the eggs, milk, and butter in a medium bowl.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just combined, around 20 strokes. It will be lumpy.
4. Gently mix in the strawberries and chocolate chips until just combined. Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan, let cook until the top is full of bubbles. Flip and cook until the bottom is golden brown.
Serve these with more sliced strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup if you know what is good for you 🙂